Monday, June 21, 2010

Filling that Music Aptitude Bucket!

You may remember this post about how music experience and education at a young age creates "talented" adults. My own kids are amazing me all the time with their music skills and I'm excited to watch them grow into talented musicians! They're free to choose whatever their hearts desire, I'm just opening the music door for them. :) We sing and dance a lot and as a result, my children are discovering they can do fun things with music!
The other day in the car, Carson was singing "I'm a Little Ducky, swimming here and there..." (do, re, mi, fa, sol, sol, la, la, la, la, sol...) but he was just singing it on "doo, doo, doo" because I don't think he knew what words went to the song that was in his head at the time. He went on singing, then stopped and said, "Hey, that's Twinkle, Twinkle song."

"No, no, honey, that's"...I just started singing the words for I'm a Little Ducky to his tune for a bit to help him out. It took a minute, then I realized, he was right! He was just singing a fancy version of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star! His 3 year-old ears were able to hear that the chord progression for the two songs were the same! He sings fancy versions of Twinkle, Twinkle all the time, but this is the first time he was able to tell me that those two songs were the same but different. Wow! To explain to my husband what I was so excited about, I had him sing Twinkle, Twinkle while I sang I'm a Little Ducky. Yep, it worked!

When he was even younger, he discovered the ABC song relation, and then maybe around 2, he discovered that BINGO and Old MacDonald start the same. He couldn't put it into words yet, but he definitely knew it!

+++You may ask yourself, What other songs are the same as Twinkle, Twinkle?
Onto my wee little 8 mo. old Evelyn. I was changing her diaper and in an effort to get her wiggly self to be not so wiggly, I was singing Twinkle, Twinkle (brilliant song to be singing all the time! :)) while twinkling my fingers and arms to the beat. (Am I a run-on senetencer or what!?) Suddenly she consciously raised her arms and continued my beat for me. Wow!

Not so sure if this was coincidence or not, I kept on singing. She lost focus for a second and sped up a tad. So I sped my singing to keep her beat, caught her attention again and we continued keeping the beat together. Woo hoo! I gave her lots of praise! So, I thought I'd test my theory to prove it was no coincidence. The diaper was done and she sat up to move on with her life. I started singing again while bobbing my head and emphasizing the beat. Her attention was grabbed and she did it again!

So I thought I'd show off a bit when we got to my parents' house for dinner. Nothing to show for it but an awesome look of confusion. Silly girl :) She loves to dance and play our rhythm instruments and has a great time!

Music is fun! and talent is developed!
Post a Comment