Thursday, October 10, 2013

Practice Makes Permanent


pic from this blog

The old saying is, "Practice Makes Perfect." That's only as long as the practice is perfect to begin with. You will play perfectly that which you have practiced. My orchestra teacher in 9th grade had a poster on the wall that he often referred to:
"Practice Makes Permanent."

If we are practicing our chords with the right fingers, we will play them with the right fingers. This phrase still pops in my mind, reminding me to take the time to practice the correct way. It often means that I won't get through all my repertoire in one sitting. It means I'll practice the two measures I fumble over until my fingers begin to remember the right way. And then it's easier the next time, and before I know it, it's easier to do it the right way than the wrong way!

And it's always better to play the right way, even if your child insists he plays "better" the wrong way. ;)

-Let's Play Music with Kendra Flake
like my studio on facebook
Post a Comment